![]() | ||
| August 24,1997 Manitou Springs,Colorado |
Normal life.
I issued a challenge to friends and family back in December, and I've been feeling really pressed to just keep reminding people that our time here is so short, you never know how numbered your days are......
Marriage is haaaaaaaard. It is not always fun, sometimes it's downright miserable. Frank and I weren't perfect, there were definitely some hard moments in those 15 years. Moments when I'd look at him and want to punch him straight in the face, moments when,especially after deployments, I'd look at him and wonder "Do I even KNOW this guy anymore?!", moments when I thought about just packing it in. I'm know he felt like that sometimes too. But then I'd stop and think about how the thought of living without him was the worst thing I could think of. And it is. It's the worst thing I can think of. I'd give anything to even be stuck in a moment where I might have slightly hated his guts, because at least there was still hope, there was still the knowledge that he was there and we would stick it out, no matter what. Because we always did stick it out.
Marriage is so much about selflessness. And people today have it SO WRONG. I want to send a wake-up call to my generation...... DUDES.....GET OVER YOURSELVES. You cannot always have it your way. You cannot always be right. You are not entitled. Ladies, you are not freaking princesses, stop acting like spoiled brats ! Gentlemen, man up and be who you were created to be!SPOUSES....put aside your selfishness, your stubborn pride, your belief that you deserve the moon handed to you, be tender with each other, make the other laugh,make the other feel like they are worth something.You will not regret these things! Marriage is about DAILY dying to self and LOVING ONE ANOTHER. This is NOT easy. You HAVE to work at it. Every.Single.Damn.Day. Yes, it's exhausting some days. Sometimes those days will drag on for months. FIGHT THROUGH IT. Quit fighting over piddly crap, quit taking them for granted, quit complaining about everything. You looked that person in the eye one day and promised to love them no matter what comes.... sickness, health,prosperity,desperate times,times of annoyance, times of starry eyed passion. Hey. How about DOING THAT?! Keep your promise.
Ladies, I know this hard, but put down that laundry basket, stop making those school lunches.... go sit on his lap and make out with him. Better yet, insist you go make out in the minivan that's parked in the garage. Guys, take that laundry basket out her arms, look her in the face and tell her you just want to be with her. Look at each other and remember the promise you made. Having a rough patch? Do you still have breath? You do? Then FIGHT for your marriage.
I sit here with a very different perspective this year. Last year I was the one being asked to just put the laundry basket down, stop folding the cloth diapers, stop making the menu plans, stop cleaning up baby toys and "Just come sit down with me for a few minutes." Sometimes I did. Sometimes I didn't. I will forever kick myself for the times I didn't. Time with him was precious. It was so short. And I didn't know the clock was counting down our days so fast. I thought I had 50 more years to sit beside him.
I didn't know that after only 14 years, 3 months & 18 days of marriage he would chase me up the stairs one Monday morning while our two littlest sons were napping, we'd make love one more time before he left for work
and never came home.
Please don't waste your promise. Please don't waste your precious days. Marriage is a gift. I beg you to treat it like one.

Thank you for this <3
ReplyDeleteGreat post. So sorry for your loss but thank you for taking the time to remind the rest of us how important it is to fight through every day and never give up!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss! Thank you for the wake up call! God bless you & your family.
ReplyDeleteAn incredible perspective. I just wish you had found this perspective in a different and less painful way. You are always in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching post! I am so very sorry for your loss :( Thanks for the reminder of how fleeting and precious life is. All too often we just live in the here and now, and think that we have tomorrow. Like you mentioned though, we may not...
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that your post has been shared with me today. I have heard your story through mutual friends. You are a true inspiration to me. Your strength and courage are traits to be envied by many and your love for your husband and family should inspire true giving, love, and passion. Thank you for such moving words, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this reminder. I just learned today that some friends, another Army couple, are calling it quits. It's so easy to get caught up in the "he didn'ts" and the "I deserves" --- thanks for reminding me that I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to fight another day... Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post. (Missy from "It's Almost Naptime" posted it on her FB page.) The whole thing about the laundry basket and the meal plans...that's so me. Except we both get so lazy--not with our work but with each other. After almost 19 years of marriage, it's easy to fall into a comfortable rhythm. That's not all bad, but sometimes it's just easier for him to turn on ESPN and for me to crawl into bed with a great book....night after night. I think we both have a feeling like we will have each other forever.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, you've given me much to think about. And I'm so very, very sorry for your loss.
Blessings,
Sandy
Amazing post! I think your blog is the only one I read anymore because I know that I will always get some awesome, uplifting advice! You so rock:) I just want you to know that I read what your wrote back in December and I
ReplyDeletehave been 100% following it! You are so true about people needing to try harder and never take anything for granted! Thank you!
Lovely! I am sharing this on my page! Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteOh my. Can I tell you that you have made a difference in my life today -- on a day when I was just ready for a moment to myself. You make me pause and give thanks for every moment -- those that are full and those that are quiet.
ReplyDeleteThis could not have come at a better time for me. Amazing, beautiful, touching, and the kick in the pants I needed.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss. Thank you for this sobering reminder to cherish each moment.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. We, too, know the devastation of losing a loved one. Our 16yo. son left for work the morning of July 29, 2011, and never came back. He leaves behind six younger brothers and sisters, and two broken-hearted parents. But we have a GOD who is faithful, too. :) After our son died, we set up a message board for those grieving the loss of a loved one. It is www.GrievingWithHope.org. I, too, have a public blog chronicling our grief journey at http://awindowintogrief.blogspot.com/ This isn't the club we wanted to join or signed up for, but there is comfort in knowing we aren't alone. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss!
ReplyDeletewe have had quite the scare with my husband
this week and I know I won't take for granted our time together ever again,
well I am sure there will be moments, but for the most part, I want to cherish each and EVERY day!
hugs to you!
tara
Thank you for your post. I needed to read this (thanks to Stephanie Howell for sharing it on her FB page.) My husband and I just celebrated our 10th anniversary - him with loving romantic thoughts and me with hurt and resentment for all the laundry baskets and menu plans that went unappreciated. My heart goes out to you in your grief. As spiteful as I feel toward him sometimes, I know that losing him would be worse. Thanks again for reminding me.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me what life is really is, and how precious all people are, even when they irritate us. I love your heart for other people and am inspired by your courage. I would love to collaborate with you on turning some of your writing into a comic book. I am interviewing veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars and did not think about speaking with families of service members until I saw your blog. You are a gifted writer and I would love to get your story out there. You are such an inspiration. Hold fast! We are all thinking of you and praying for you.
ReplyDeleteYou can see the comic book project here, if you want to know more: callingthedog.blogspot.com
Jess
Marriage is hard. I have been there, where I have wanted to smack my husband too. There are times were I have wanted to pack it in, all the things you talked about. But, like you said, I can't imagine my life without him. He is my rock. I would be lost without him. We have been married 17 years, dated for 6 before we got married and have been through alot of crap with family to the point it is just he and I now. But, we have each other. I am so grateful.
ReplyDeleteWe I read the first few words at the beginning (and coming from Steph's facebook page) I knew you lost your husband. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so very sorry!!! <3
Wow, what a profound message - thank you and I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI just cried and cried at this. My birthday is August 24th. I turned 32 on Fri, and my husband is currently deployed. Even after only 2 years of marriage(a very young marriage still), this is such a good reminder, because we never know when that last kiss will happen, or that last love making. And you're right - the laundry can wait. It is so important to fight every day for the promise made, to CHOOSE daily to love the other person first. I am so lucky, and I forget that sometimes. Thank you for sharing your story, and reminding me of what I have been Blessed with.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you didn't get that 50 years...
Thank you for sharing your experience and your love.
This hits home more than anything I've read with the state of my life right now.
ReplyDeleteKryste, I love you!! I've thought about your challenge every single day since. My marriage that I already thought was very good, gets better every single day. I miss you!
ReplyDeleteI love this. I love your honest heart. Your authenticity. I am challenged to love my husband today. To be reminded of my blessings....even when I want to punch him in the nose. We found out we were going to lose our baby when my husband was deployed in 2010. He has never left since and it has been hard...losing a baby...but nothing like losing a husband. I know that in the darkest hour, my hope in God has never ceased. My hope has grown stronger...that our time on this earth is a VAPOR...A BLINK. Way to challenge others to use their time wisely.
ReplyDeleteThank you for allowing God to speak through you in the midst of your pain -- this is such a great and good thing for every married person to remember.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed with your words and take them to heart! Thank you! Reminds me to be thankful for every day that I have with my dear husband - no matter what that day may look like!
ReplyDeleteSo I'm here as a result of being a friend of a friend (LC3 Kelsey - and probably many others ;) We no longer live in the area, but I love your words and am in the process of passing along your blog to a good friend in my area who just lost her husband. Would love to have her connected with you at some point. Please let me know if that works. Blessings ~Raeleen